The mission of the 3RBC is to provide a bicycling advocacy and resource organization that promotes improved quality of life in and around the Tri-Cities area of Washington State.
To meet the stated Mission, 3RBC will assist local communities in attaining recognition by the League of American Bicyclists as a Bicycle-Friendly Community by promoting significant accomplishment in several or all of the following five areas:
* Engineering - streets are designed with shared use in mind; obstacles to cycling are reduced or eliminated; designated routes are properly signed; bicycle routes, paths, and shared streets form a usable network for all cyclists.
* Education - motorists and cyclists are trained in the safe and efficient means of interacting in traffic; schools have programs to train young riders in safe cycling practices.
* Encouragement - government agencies, local clubs, schools, and businesses promote cycling with safety and recreational events, improved facilities (parking, storage, showers) for cyclists, and other incentives to use alternate transportation.
* Enforcement - Local Law Enforcement officers are well-trained in bicycle/motorist safety laws; officers are encouraged to watch for infractions and issue citations accordingly.
* Evaluation & Planning - transportation planning organizations at the local and regional level include bicycle facilities and accommodation in the designs and planning of improvement projects.
* Known as the "5 E's", the criteria above are described in more detail in the 5 E's page